“Ash” from a cigarette could be called a “trace” of a cigarette. A piece of graffiti, if you will. These electronic cigarettes, which I’ve spoke of before on occasion here, and here, are becoming a type of smoking that do NOT leave a trace of nasty smell, waste, and a reminder that someone was smoking these tobacco products.
If you haven’t heard of the electric cigarette, my buddy dale writes about electronic cigarette smoking quite well. While I’m behind on the topic, I have found myself fascinated with these devices and hope every ghetto starts catching onto this new fad.
The electronic cigarette recently entered the market and has created itself a flourishing industry of thousands of users and hundreds of manufacturers. The history of the device goes back as far as 1963, where Herbert Gilbert, came with the first ever design of a cigarette that would work using a battery. This design did not make it into the market due to many reasons. The typical electronic cigarette that we see today was made possible by Hon Lik, a pharmacist and inventor from China. His design was an immediate success in the market and it was soon acquired and brought into the United States. Now several manufacturers have edited the design but the core operational principles remain the same.
How does an electronic cigarette differ from a paper cigarette?
The electronic cigarette is a battery powered design. It uses patented technology to completely eliminate the process known as combustion, hence killing all the harmful chemicals that enter the lungs when a typical paper cigarette is smoked. An electronic cigarette consists of a battery, an atomizer and a cartridge. Instead of smoke, it produces a thin and odorless vapor which dissipates into thin air when exhaled. Hence the device can be used in places where a paper cigarette is banned.
Is an electronic cigarette safe?
The electronic cigarette has enabled the user to get a simulated smoking experience without the harmful chemicals that are produced in the process of combustion. But it has not yet been approved by the FDA to be a completely safe product. This is because the product is still young and according to researchers, a product younger than 10 years does not give enough statistical data to complete a research. The electronic cigarette uses an ingredient known as propylene glycol combined with water. This ingredient is typically used in many other products and FDA has claimed it to be safe.
What are the different advantages and disadvantages of using an electronic cigarette?
The electronic cigarette mostly offers benefits to its users in terms of value and health. But like any other product on the market, electronic cigarettes do have their disadvantages. Following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of an electronic cigarette:
- Electronic cigarettes can be used in public places where paper cigarettes are banned.
- Electronic cigarettes eliminate the harmful combustion of a paper cigarette, hence offering a healthier alternative.
- Electronic cigarettes allow you to experience a simulated smoking experience using several flavors that are otherwise not available in paper cigarettes.
- Using an electronic cigarette, you have the choice to decide what nicotine strength you want. This is similar to smoking ultra lights, lights, medium and full flavor cigarettes.
- An electronic cigarette cartridge can easily outlast a typical pack of 20 paper cigarettes, offering you better value in all aspects.
- Certain electronic cigarettes use cheap and low quality material that can result in nicotine poisoning. Always choose a brand that is recognized and only produces high quality products.
- Electronic cigarette is an electronic device, hence it can fail anytime and the replacement process can often take time.
- Some electronic cigarettes completely fail to offer satisfaction. The intended simulated experience is never achieved due to low quality battery or cartomizer.
- Based on design, some electronic cigarettes can be hassle to construct for new comers. The popular design these days is a two part design which does not require the user to fill up the cartomizer before using. The user only has to screw the two parts together to start vaping.
- Electronic cigarettes that portray an identical design of a paper cigarette can often lead to misunderstandings when used in public places. If you intend to use an electronic cigarette in a public place, get a design that looks less like a paper cigarette and more like an electronic device.